What to get next?
I know there's already (located elsewhere within SVRider.com's forums) an "If your SV died today, what would you get?" thread. My question is similar, but less "open-ended". I've owned two SV650s - a 1999 SV650, which I traded in as a down-payment on a car six years ago, and my current 2006 SV650S, which I purchased five years ago. I loved the first SV so much, I just had to have another, except that I wanted a 2nd-Gen model. Well, I was single back the, but have been married for the past 2.5 years, and the SV isn't exactly "up to the task" of carrying the two of us (we're not exactly on the "light side"). Because of this, my wife almost never rides with me, as only short (typically less than an hour) rides are realistic. As such, I am looking into what to get next. Unfortunately, this will, in all likelihood, include selling, or trading in, my beloved SV650S (which, by the way, I've done extensive work on), as I don't have the funds for a down-payment on a new/replacement bike. So, my question to those reading this is, "What bikes should be included on my "short list"?
With that in mind, I have a few "requirements":
1) I love the sound of the V-Twin, but I am not opposed to a flat-twin, or an inline-triple.
2) I prefer to stay away from inline-4s.
3) I've REALLY enjoyed the two SVs I've had, but I do NOT want a "rice rocket". Prior to my two SVs, I've had four bikes - three cruisers, and a KLR650.
4) I really prefer a bike that can not only carry two people (weighing an approximate 400lbs combined weight), but can be ridden comfortably for extended periods/distances.
5) I do NOT want a "pure" cruiser or adventure bike, but I do like "sport" cruisers & adventure bikes (ie. Honda CTX700/700N, Yamaha FJ-09).
6) I want to purchase a new, NOT used, bike, thus it would have to be something in the 2016-2018 range, as I'd be (very) hard-pressed to find anything older still new on a showroom floor.
7) While the bike will be financed, I still can't afford anything overly-expensive. The "ceiling" is $11K...and, if at all possible, I'd prefer keeping the cost (before tax, licensing, etc) below $8K.
So, there you have it...my "requirements". What can you come up with? I already have a few possible ideas (the Hondas & Yamaha mentioned above, for example), but I'd really like some additional input. Any additional help will be greatly appreciated. This is your mission, should you choose to accept it. Good luck, Jim...or Bob...or Joe...and everyone else.
Read responses in svrider.com